StanChart CEO seeks to reassure staff over AI-linked job cuts

HONG KONG, May 20 (Reuters) - Standard Chartered CEO Bill Winters sought to assuage staff concerns on Wednesday, a day ‌after saying that the bank will cut thousands of ‌jobs over the next four years as it moves to replace "lower-value human capital" ​with technology.

Reuters

"Many of you will have seen media coverage following the Investor Event in Hong Kong, particularly the reporting around automation, AI, and workforce changes," Winters said in a memo to the bank's ‌staff reviewed by Reuters.

"I ⁠know this may be unsettling when reduced to simple headlines or a quote out of context," he ⁠said.

A spokesperson for the bank confirmed the memo's content.

StanChart said on Tuesday it would cut 15% of its corporate function roles by 2030, ​which, ​according to a Reuters calculation, would ​result in nearly 8,000 ‌redundancies out of its more than 52,000 staff in such roles.

Advertisement

The bank cited AI as a driver to slim its operations in its quest to increase profitability and tackle competition.

"It's not cost-cutting. It's replacing in some cases lower-value human capital with the financial ‌capital and the investment capital we're putting ​in," Winters said on Tuesday.

In his ​memo to staff on ​Wednesday, Winters said the bank had been open ‌that its workforce will evolve.

"Some roles ​will reduce in ​number, some will change, and new opportunities will emerge. We will continue to prioritise investment in reskilling and redeployment wherever ​we can," he ‌said.

"Where changes do happen, we will handle them with ​thought and care," he added.

(Reporting by Selena Li; Editing by ​Sumeet Chatterjee and Alexander Smith)

StanChart CEO seeks to reassure staff over AI-linked job cuts

HONG KONG, May 20 (Reuters) - Standard Chartered CEO Bill Winters sought to assuage staff concerns on Wednesday, a day ‌after saying th...
Russia says troops deliver nuclear warheads in major exercise

By Andrew Osborn and Mark Trevelyan

Reuters Russian service members take part in a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026.  Russian Defence Ministry/Handout via REUTERS A Russian Iskander-M missile launcher in action during a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026.  Russian Defence Ministry/Handout via REUTERS A Russian Iskander-M missile launcher drives during a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026.  Russian Defence Ministry/Handout via REUTERS A Russian Iskander-M missile launcher drives during a nuclear forces exercise at an unidentified location in Russia, in this still image taken from handout footage released on May 20, 2026.  Russian Defence Ministry/Handout via REUTERS

Russia shows troops moving nuclear warheads in major exercise

MOSCOW, May 20 (Reuters) - Russia on Wednesday showed what it said was footage of troops delivering nuclear warheads to mobile Iskander-M missile launch systems, loading them and ‌moving them to launch sites as part of a major nuclear exercise.

In a statement released ‌to state media, the Defence Ministry said its forces had practised bringing units to "the highest levels of combat readiness for the use ​of nuclear weapons".

The three-day exercise, which started on Tuesday and is taking place across Russia and Belarus, comes at a time when Moscow is locked in what it says is an existential struggle with the West over Ukraine.

A senior Russian diplomat warned on Tuesday that the risks of a direct clash between Russia and NATO were increasing ‌due to what he said was a ⁠growing narrative in European capitals about the "looming threat of a high-intensity war" with Russia.

The diplomat, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov, said the consequences of such a clash could ⁠be catastrophic.

The Defence Ministry said the nuclear drills, which involve 64,000 military personnel, more than 200 missile launchers, 140 aircraft, 73 surface ships and 13 submarines, would include rehearsing launch procedures for Russian tactical nuclear weapons based in Belarus.

Advertisement

Video ​of ​the training element showed Russian nuclear forces moving in convoy ​through a heavily forested area, camouflaging their ‌vehicles, and raising a launch tube into firing position. The Defence Ministry did not say where the drills took place.

The Iskander-M, a mobile guided missile system code-named "SS-26 Stone" by NATO, replaced the Soviet "Scud". Its guided missiles have a range of up to 500 km (300 miles) and can carry conventional or nuclear warheads.

Russia has used the Iskander-M against Ukrainian forces, according to state media. It has also deployed them in its European exclave of ‌Kaliningrad in the past, and it has placed them in ​neighbouring Belarus, putting Ukraine and several NATO members within their range.

Throughout ​the war in Ukraine, President Vladimir Putin has ​issued reminders of Russia's nuclear might as a warning to the West not to ‌go too far in its support of ​Kyiv.

The U.S.-based Institute for the ​Study of War said the latest drills looked aimed at amplifying longstanding narratives aimed at influencing NATO decision-making to Ukraine's detriment and masking what the ISW said were Russia’s own difficulties in prosecuting ​its war in Ukraine.

Russia says its ‌forces are still advancing in Ukraine and that its aim of taking control of the remainder ​of the eastern Donbas region remains unchanged.

(Reporting by Reuters in Moscow and Mark Trevelyan in ​London; writing by Andrew Osborn; editing by Philippa Fletcher)

Russia says troops deliver nuclear warheads in major exercise

By Andrew Osborn and Mark Trevelyan Russia shows troops moving nuclear warheads in major exercise MOSCOW, May 20 (Reuters) - ...
57-Year-Old Underwent Intense Facelift. Then Her Teen Daughter Found Out Why She Went Viral for It (Exclusive)

Denise, a patient of Beverly Hills, Calif., surgeon Dr. Carl Truesdale, underwent full-face rejuvenation surgery in early 2026

People Denise after undergoing her facelift and neck liftCredit: Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery

NEED TO KNOW

  • Her immediate facelift results went viral, and she tells PEOPLE how it impacted her recovery

  • She previously underwent a rhinoplasty and breast augmentation

When Denise, a mom and nurse from Northern California, decided to get plastic surgery in her late 50s, she wasn't nervous about what was to come. By then, she had already undergone a breast augmentation in the '90s as well as a rhinoplasty. When she went into the operating room in January for full-facial rejuvenation, it wasn't the operation itself that shocked her — it was what came after.

Four months ago, Denise, who was 57 at the time of her procedure, underwent a deep plane facelift, neck lift, lip lift, eye pinch and CO2 laser treatment performed by Beverly Hills, Calif.-based surgeonDr. Carl Truesdale.

"I've never had any kind of facial plastic surgery in the past that was this extensive," she tells PEOPLE of what inspired the transformation. "But as I got into my mid-50s, my skin really started to lose its elasticity, and it just started getting to where I thought, 'Well, let's fix this before it turns into a major issue.' " She also got a little nudge from her friend, who told her, "Well, why don't you? You'd spend that much on a car.'"

Denise before and after her facial rejuvenationCredit: Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery

So on Jan. 6, she underwent the intense surgery without telling anyone, and her results were so seamless that no one in her personal life suspected plastic surgery. "When I went back to work, people would pass right by me, and a couple people would say, 'Oh wow, you looked good and refreshed. You had some time off. You must have went on vacation,' " she recalls.

The reaction to her appearance was a lot different online.

While Denise stayed mum about her procedure in real life, her teenage daughter — who traveled with her to Beverly Hills for the surgery — revealed that she started goingviral online. "I remember standing there in the kitchen, and my 19-year-old said, 'Mom, oh my gosh, you're on Instagram.' And I'm like, 'What do you mean?'"

Truesdale is famous for his clients' before-and-afters, and his social media video of Denise right after her procedure — stitches and all — garnered over 11 million views on TikTok. In fact, it gained so much traction that Denise says her friend from Alaska, who hadn't known about her procedure, texted her to ask if she'd had surgery.

Advertisement

The original video received a fair share of negative comments and scrutiny, but the reactions were nowhere near how Denise herself felt. "It was really pretty shocking to me, and I just had to step away from it, because a lot of people don't understand why you [get plastic surgery]," she says, adding that her immediate results were far from what she'd see a few months later when everything settled in.

Once the shock factor wore off, Denise realized that "people are always going to say things," and now she's very pleased with her results, particularly that of her laser peel, which has left her with a "really fresh base again."

Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

"I feel a lot better and feel refreshed," she adds. "I don't care how many years it turned back. I just wanted to freshen up and just do what I could do at the moment to make the rest of my years age a little better."

A side profile of Denise before and after plastic surgeryCredit: Truesdale Facial Plastic Surgery

Now her appearance matches her youthful energy. "Being a nurse for 32 years, I'm hoping to retire in the next five years. I feel like I'm still a kid inside. I have a really immature side, and then I have a really serious side. So having the facelift is a good thing."

Denise is looking to maintain her facelift with facial peels, laser treatments and Botox. She encourages older patients like herself who want to undergo plastic surgery to do it. "If someone's saying, 'Oh, wow, you should really fix that,' that shouldn't be your motivation. You've just got to want it."

Read the original article onPeople

57-Year-Old Underwent Intense Facelift. Then Her Teen Daughter Found Out Why She Went Viral for It (Exclusive)

Denise, a patient of Beverly Hills, Calif., surgeon Dr. Carl Truesdale, underwent full-face rejuvenation surgery in early 2026 NE...
Kylie Minogue Reflects on Her Breast Cancer Journey 20 Years on, Says Experience Is 'Still with Me Today'

Kylie Minogue has reflected on her 2005 breast cancer diagnosis in a new interview, describing it as an ongoing experience

People Kylie Minogue on March 9, 2026Credit: Jean-Marc Haedrich/SIPA/Shutterstock

NEED TO KNOW

  • The singer was declared cancer-free in 2006, but told the BBC of her journey, "It's very deep and extended and it's still with me today in many ways"

  • Kylie opens up about her diagnosis in her new Netflix docuseries Kylie, streaming May 20

Kylie Minogueis reflecting on her cancer journey — two decades on.

In a new interview withBBC London, published on Tuesday, May 19, the Australian singer, 57, who wasdiagnosed with breast cancerin 2005, shared that her experience with the disease has never left her.

"Where do I even start? Shock," the musician told the outlet about getting her diagnosis. "You're trying to understand something you've never thought about before. It's a crash course.”

“It's very deep and extended and it's still with me today in many ways," Minogue added.

Kylie Minogue in her Netflix docuseries, 'Kylie'Credit: Netflix

The “All the Lovers” hitmaker also opens up about her cancer journey in her new Netflix docuseriesKylie(streaming May 20).

“I felt removed from my body,” Minogue says in the emotional trailer. “I was so scared of what was ahead of me.”

“We didn’t know if she was ever going to be well again,” her sister Dannii Minogue adds.

In December 2023, Kylie, who was declared cancer-free in 2006, described her cancer journey as “trauma” in an interview withCBS News.

Advertisement

"It's trauma, and any trauma resides within you," Kylie said. "The experience of a cancer diagnosis will live in me. It was difficult. It was also amazing."

"Amazing in that you are very aware of your body, of the love that's around you, of your capability, all sorts of things," she added.

Kylie Mingue performing on her 2025 Tension TourCredit: Jim Dyson/Getty

The star went on to share that her music helped her to come to terms with what she was going through.

"I sing to process everything, I think. I write to process. I perform to process. And sometimes I think I live to perform," she said.

Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

She alsotold PEOPLEin 2020 how her cancer changed her life and perspective.

"It's like the earth had kind of slipped off its axis. You see everything differently," Minogue recalled.

"I remember having had my diagnosis, but the world didn't know,” she said. “I was with my brother and my boyfriend at the time — we were all in a daze and went to a cafe. The server at the cafe was like, 'Hey, how are you today?' We just kind of robotically said, 'Good, thanks,' and in that moment I just thought, you really don't know what anyone is going through. I thought that same person by tomorrow is going to see the news and say, 'Oh my God, she was here yesterday, and we didn't know.' "

Read the original article onPeople

Kylie Minogue Reflects on Her Breast Cancer Journey 20 Years on, Says Experience Is 'Still with Me Today'

Kylie Minogue has reflected on her 2005 breast cancer diagnosis in a new interview, describing it as an ongoing experience NEED T...
What voters need to bring to the polls for Kentucky primary election

Thousands of voters will head to the polls in Kentucky on May 19 for the state's primary elections.

USA TODAY

Those planning to cast a ballot will need to have proof of identification to do so. This includes one of the following:

  • Kentucky driver's license

  • Kentucky-issued ID card

  • U.S. military ID card

  • College ID card

  • Kentucky government ID

  • U.S. passport

  • U.S. passport card 

Other IDs might be accepted if they meet the following criteria listedhere.

Advertisement

Those without a valid photo ID can still cast a ballot in the election, but there are additional requirements.

A voter will need to complete a voter affirmation form at their polling location and provide an alternative form of identification. Acceptable documents include:

  • A Social Security card.

  • An ID issued by a Kentucky county that shows the voter’s name and has been approved by the State Board of Elections.

  • Any card with the voter’s name and photograph.

  • A food stamp ID card, Electronic Benefit Transfer card or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program card that shows the voter’s name.

Anew lawpassed by the Kentucky General Assembly in March removes Social Security cards and SNAP cards as options, but the provision does not go into effect until July.

This article originally appeared on Louisville Courier Journal:What Kentucky voters need to bring to the polls for primary election

What voters need to bring to the polls for Kentucky primary election

Thousands of voters will head to the polls in Kentucky on May 19 for the state's primary elections. Those planning to cast a ...

 

CR MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com