Category 1

Trump blames his 'love for the United States of America' for stopping him from attending Don Jr's wedding

Donald Trump on Friday said he has decided to skip out on his son's wedding, saying his "love for the United States of America" is keeping him in Washington.

The Mirror Donald Trump

Donald Trump Jr.and Bettina Anderson are expected to hold a small, private wedding ceremony for close family. The ceremony will reportedly be held in the Bahamas,according to CNN.

"While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump Family, his soon to be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,"Trump wrote on Truth Social.

•Barron Trump's relationship with his siblings was affected by Melania's 'complicated' parenting

•Donald Trump smashes five negative polling records in space of days

"I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time. Congratulations to Don and Bettina!" he continued.

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson

After he made the post announcing he would not attend, Turmp jetted off for Upstate New York to stump forRep. Mike Lawleras he runs for reelection in a high stakes Congressional racefor Republicans. NY-17, which covers the lower Hudson Valley, is pivotal for the GOP if the party is to retainits slim majority in the House.

Advertisement

Jr.'s wedding "not good timing" for Trump

Trump previously said he would try to make his eldest son's wedding but added that "it is not good timing for me."

“He’d like me to go, but it’s going to be just a small little private affair, and I’m going to try and make it,” Trump told reporters. "I’m in the midst — I said, you know, this is not good timing for me. I have a thing called Iran and other things. That’s one I can’t win on.”

The president said he'd be attacked by the media regardless of what decision he made.

“That’s one I can’t win on. If I do attend, I get killed. If I don’t attend, I get killed,” he said.

Trump Jr.'s siblings are expected to attend the ceremony.

The wedding will mark Trump Jr.’s second marriage. He was previously married toVanessa Trumpfor 12 years before their divorce in 2018. Vanessa Trumpis now dating Tiger Woods.

He was also previously engaged to Kimberly Guilfoyle, who is now the U.S. ambassador to Greece and the ex-wife ofCalifornia Gov. Gavin Newsom, from 2020 to 2024.

Trump blames his 'love for the United States of America' for stopping him from attending Don Jr's wedding

Donald Trump on Friday said he has decided to skip out on his son's wedding, saying his "love for the United States of America...
Woman, 22, Says Men Match with Her on Dating Apps Just to Criticize Her Weight. Here’s How She Finally Clapped Back

A woman revealed that men match with her on dating apps just to tell her she should lose weight

People Libby Rose Martin.Credit: Kennedy News and Media (2)

NEED TO KNOW

  • Libby Rose Martin said she finally clapped back after a guy sent her one particularly cruel message

  • Martin hopes her experience reminds other women that online bullying “says more about them than it does about you"

A woman clapped back at a man who matched with her on adating appjust to tell her she needed to lose weight.

Libby Rose Martin said she joined an online dating app in 2025 in the hopes of finding romance — but she’s seen her fair share of body-shaming and bullying instead, per Kennedy News and Media.

"I've had so many people commenting on my body, I get so sick of it,” said Martin of Kent, England. "A couple times I've had other men match me purely to comment on my weight.”

"I've had quite a few guys slide into my DMs saying, 'I'll be your personal trainer' or a few guys saying, 'I don't know what you're doing on here. You're never going to get a boyfriend with the way you look.' It's the way of the world, unfortunately,” she added.

Libby Rose Martin.Credit: Kennedy News and Media

However, after one particularly egregious incident in which a guy matched with Martin, 22, only to write, “You sure can take in calories” and that he was a “hero” just trying to “motivate” her, Martindecided to clap back.

“Just because I’mplus sizedoesn’t mean I’m unhappy in my body,” the fashion designer wrote back.

“Don’t EVER believe that you are respecting women if it’s only the ones you’re attracted to,” she continued, adding that she had been battling an eating disorder for many years.

“Imagine someone said this to your mom, your sister or even your daughter one day, how would you feel?” she asked.

A message received by Libby Rose Martin.Credit: Kennedy News and Media

While the man responded with more insults, Martin said she wasproud she spoke up for herself.

"I wasn't even attracted to him and didn't want to give him a chance. What I wanted to do was take that opportunity to educate him,” she explained. “I can't believe someone would go that far as to match with me out of spite and a way to put me in my place.”

"I think he saw someone who seemed quite genuine and vulnerable and thought he'd use that to his advantage to shame me and assumed I wasn't going to clap back," she continued.

"He's on a dating app and we're both single but … why is he single? It's probably because he can't keep a relationship because he's so narrow-minded in his ideas,” Martin said, adding that the man ultimately blocked her.

Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Advertisement

Libby Rose Martin.Credit: Kennedy News and Media

“I think he was surprised I wrote that much and was insightful. I feel proud that I was able to put my point across,” she said. "My main point was to educate, and I feel good that I showed him he didn't get to me. He thinks I'm vulnerable, and I'm not."

Martin went on to say that while dating can be hard for everyone, it can be even harderfor plus-sized people.

"I feel like we're such a marginalized community,” she said.

Sign up forFrom the Editor, our free weekly newsletter from PEOPLE's Editor-in-Chief, Charlotte Triggs.

"Being plus-sized, I've been fetishized. I've had people say to me, ‘I'll have sex with you and do stuff with you, but I never want to be seen with you. I don't want anyone knowing that I'm seeing a big girl because it's embarrassing,’ ” she said.

"Skinny people do have the advantage and pretty privilege does exist. When I go out with my skinny friends, they get acknowledged by guys and I won't be,” Martin added.

The woman hopes her story helps remind other plus-sized women that bullying on dating apps says “more about them than it does about you.”

"You can choose to educate [the person] and you can choose to not. A lot of women will just hit the 'block' button and that's completely fine,” she said.

"They're single and probably single for that reason,” she added of the men.

A message sent by Libby Rose Martin.Credit: Kennedy News and Media

Martin also hopes to remind others that happiness is not about a number on a scale.

"You're going to look back at your life and remember thatamazing trip you took, or that amazing summer you spent. You're not going to worry about you not [fitting] into a dress,” she said.

If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder,The Alliance for Eating Disordersprovides a fully-staffed helpline at 1-866-662-1235, as well as free, therapist-led support groups.

Read the original article onPeople

Woman, 22, Says Men Match with Her on Dating Apps Just to Criticize Her Weight. Here’s How She Finally Clapped Back

A woman revealed that men match with her on dating apps just to tell her she should lose weight NEED TO KNOW Libby...
Red Cross warns of heat, water, grill risks this Memorial Day

Memorial Day is the unofficial start to summer, and as thousands of Georgians pack up their car to take a vacation over the long-weekend, the American Red Cross is offering some safety tips.

USA TODAY

According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), 1.3 million Georgians will travel at least 50 miles from home for Memorial Day weekend.

Red Cross is sharing guidance on how to stay safe throughout the summer during travel, near water, when dealing with heat-related illnesses and while grilling.

With temperatures rising, bodies of water are a popular destination for many travelers. Drivers heading out should be well rested, wear seatbelts and take frequent breaks along the way.

A child reacts as she is sprayed by water from the new splash pad during the official ribbon cutting for the improvements to the Benjamin Van Clark Park on Wednesday, June 25, 2025.

Suzanne Lawler, Red Cross public information officer, said it’s important to use the buddy system when entering the water.

“We did it when we were kids, right? Whether you are a teenager, an adult, or a child, swim with a buddy just so you know where each other are,” Lawler said.

Advertisement

Spending time in the sun and swimming can be enjoyable, but heat-related illness can set in quickly. Mild dehydration symptoms can develop within one to two hours of intense physical activity or exposure to high heat.

Pets are also vulnerable to extreme heat, with heat stroke sometimes becoming fatal. Dogs with long coats or short snouts, such as pugs and French bulldogs, are at higher risk. Signs of heat stroke include excessive panting, brick-red gums or lethargy.

“You know your dog’s personality,” Lawler said.

Burgers and hot dogs on the grill can be a sign of good weather and fellowship on a summer’s day, but, on average, more than 10,000 home fires in the United States are caused by grills.

Lawler said grills should always be used outdoors on a sturdy, flat surface — never under a carport or in a sunroom. Here are safety tips from the American Red Cross' website:

Grilling safety tips:

  • Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, deck, tree branches or anything that could catch fire. 

  • Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use. Don’t add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.

  • Never grill indoors — not in the house, camper, tent or any enclosed area.

  • Make sure everyone, including pets, stays away from the grill.

Safe travel tips:

  • Be well rested and alert, use your seat belts, observe speed limits and follow the rules of the road.

  • If you plan on drinking alcohol, designate a driver who won’t drink.

  • Give your full attention to the road. Avoid distractions such as cell phones.

  • Use caution in work zones. There are lots of construction projects underway on the highways.

  • Don’t follow other vehicles too closely.

  • Don’t overdrive your headlights (drive at a speed where you can stop within the distance you can see).

Beach safety tips:

  • Pack a first aid kit to handle insect stings, sprains, cuts and bruises and other injuries that could happen to someone in your group. Take a Red Cross First Aid and CPR course and download the First Aid app so that you will know what to do in case help is delayed. You’ll learn how to treat severe wounds, broken bones, bites and stings and more.

  • Sprains and falls are some of the most common misfortunes travelers may face. Falls are the biggest threat, many due to poor decision-making, lack of skill or not being properly prepared. Dehydration is also a danger. Plan ahead for these dangers.

  • Share your travel plans and locations with a family member, neighbor or friend.

  • Bring nutritious food items and water, light-weight clothing to layer and supplies for any pets.

Summer and pet safety tips:

  • Don’t leave your pet in a hot vehicle, even for a few minutes. The inside temperature of the car can quickly reach 120 degrees even with the windows cracked open.

  • If you suspect your pet has heat stroke, take their temperature rectally. If the temperature is above 105 degrees, cool the animal down. The easiest way to do this is by using the water hose. Stop cooling the animal when the temperature reaches 103 degrees

  • Bring your pet to the veterinarian as soon as possible as heat stroke can lead to severe organ dysfunction and damage. Download the Red Cross Pet First Aid app for instant access on how to treat heat stroke, other emergencies and general care for cats and dogs and take the Cat and Dog First Aid Online Training course.

Ansley Franco is a reporter with the Savannah Morning News, covering public safety and general assignments. You can reach her at AFranco@gannett.com. - Google Search

This article originally appeared on Savannah Morning News:Stay safe this Memorial Day with travel, heat and water safety tips

Red Cross warns of heat, water, grill risks this Memorial Day

Memorial Day is the unofficial start to summer, and as thousands of Georgians pack up their car to take a vacation over the long-weeken...
Pope Leo decries 'dizzying' profits earned by companies that pollute

By Ciro De Luca and Joshua McElwee

Reuters Pope Leo XIV speaks during a meeting with bishops, members of the clergy, and families whose members have been victims of environmental pollution at the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, in Acerra, Italy, May 23, 2026. REUTERS/Ciro De Luca Pope Leo XIV attends a meeting with bishops, members of the clergy, and families whose members have been victims of environmental pollution at the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, in Acerra, Italy, May 23, 2026. REUTERS/Ciro De Luca Pope Leo XIV waves as he arrives for a meeting with Mayors and faithful of various municipalities of the so-called Pope Leo XIV waves as he arrives for a meeting with Mayors and faithful of various municipalities of the so-called

Pope Leo visits Acerra

ACERRA, Italy, May 23 (Reuters) - Pope Leo on Saturday called out companies who seek "dizzying" profits at the cost of environmental pollution, on a ‌visit to an area in Italy known as a hotbed for illegal dumping of toxic ‌waste.

On a visit to Acerra, about 220 km (137 miles) south of Rome, the first U.S. pope urged the world to "reject temptations ​of power and enrichment linked to practices that pollute the land, water, air, and social coexistence."

Leo said he wanted to come to the area near Naples known as the "Land of Fires", where the European Court of Human Rights ruled last year that authorities had failed to protect residents from waste dumping since at least ‌1988, to "gather the tears" of families who ⁠had lost loves ones to related illnesses.

Arriving by popemobile in an outside square on a sunny spring day, Leo was greeted by people waving small yellow and ⁠white Vatican flags and wearing yellow hats, some holding up posterboards with pictures of family members who had died.

Leo, who in recent months has been speaking more forcefully and will issue his first major document on Monday, ​said "unscrupulous ​people and organizations have been allowed to act with ​impunity for too long". During his four-hour visit ‌to Acerra, he also referred to "the dizzying profits of a few, blind to the needs of people, their work and their future." He also met with victims.

Advertisement

For years, collection, treatment and disposal of garbage in southern Italy was largely in the hands of a small group of private owners, with contracts sometimes tied to the Camorra, a mafia group based around Naples.

In January 2025 the European court found that Italian ‌authorities had repeatedly failed to act to stop illegal dumping ​in a region also known as the "Triangle of Death", due ​to abnormally high rates of cancer for ​local residents.

The court gave the Italian government two years to establish a comprehensive database ‌of toxic waste sites and communicate the ​risks to the public.

Prime Minister ​Giorgia Meloni in February 2025 appointed an Italian general to head a task force aimed at helping victims and pursuing environmental clean-up.

Leo will issue his first encyclical, a major text, to ​the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, on ‌Monday. It is expected to address the rise of AI and how the technology is ​being used in warfare and challenging workers' rights.

(Reporting by Ciro De Luca in Acerra ​and Joshua McElwee in Rome; Editing by Susan Fenton)

Pope Leo decries 'dizzying' profits earned by companies that pollute

By Ciro De Luca and Joshua McElwee Pope Leo visits Acerra ACERRA, Italy, May 23 (Reuters) - Pope Leo on Saturday called out c...
At least 90 dead in China's worst coal mine disaster in over 16 years

SHANGHAI, May 23 (Reuters) - At least 90 people were killed in a gas explosion at a coal mine in ‌China's northern province of Shanxi, the country's deadliest mining ‌accident since at least 2009.

Reuters Rescuers work at the site following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi province, China May 23, 2026. cnsphoto via REUTERS Rescuers work at the site following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, Shanxi province, China May 23, 2026. China Daily via REUTERS

Rescuers work at the site following a gas explosion at Liushenyu coal mine

The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu ​coal mine in Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground, state media Xinhua reported.

The mine is operated by Shanxi Tongzhou Group Liushenyu Coal Industry, which was established in 2010 and is controlled ‌by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal ⁠Coking Group, according to corporate database Qichacha.

Rescue operations were ongoing and the cause of the accident was ⁠under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan. Shanxi is China's coal-mining heartland.

President Xi Jinping called for authorities to "spare no ​effort" in ​treating the injured and conducting ​search and rescue operations, while ‌ordering a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and strict accountability in accordance with the law, according to Xinhua.

Advertisement

Premier Li Qiang called for timely and accurate release of information and rigorous accountability.

China has significantly reduced coal mine fatalities - often caused by ‌gas explosions or flooding - since the early ​2000s through more stringent regulations and ​safer practices.

In 2009, a ​coal and gas outburst in Heilongjiang Province killed 108 ‌people and injured 133.

Executives of ​the company responsible ​for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.

Shanxi provincial authorities have dispatched seven rescue and medical teams totalling 755 personnel ​to the site, the ‌emergency management bureau at Qinyuan said.

(Reporting by Shanghai Newsroom ​and Fabiola Arámburo in Mexico City; Editing by Tom ​Hogue, Kim Coghill and William Mallard)

At least 90 dead in China's worst coal mine disaster in over 16 years

SHANGHAI, May 23 (Reuters) - At least 90 people were killed in a gas explosion at a coal mine in ‌China's northern province of Shan...

 

CR MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com