Jen Atkin on climbing her way to the top | K3IKU51 | 2024-03-14 14:08:01
googletag.cmd.push(function() googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1651487081123-0'); );
Jen Atkin on climbing her option to the top
Superstar hairstylist turned magnificence mogul shares her insights with BAZAAR on the evolution of OUAI and her latest ventures in magnificence.
By Ruby Stephens
RENOWNED AS THE HAIRSTYLIST to the celebs, styling the tresses of everybody from the Kardashian-Jenners to Hailey Bieber — Jen Atkin isn't only a glam icon. She's the visionary behind two groundbreaking and extremely fashionable haircare brands seemingly reshaping the sweetness scene: OUAI, a trendsetter since its inception in 2015, and Mane, the freshest face on the sweetness counter —& each of which are stocked solely at Sephora in Australia.
In celebrating her latest product, Ouai's Hair Gloss, Atkin travelled right down to Sydney from her residence of Los Angeles for a collection of particular hair workshops, as well as a glamorous launch celebration at Sydney's Shell House, the place she chatted with BAZAAR Australia about her beauty journey.
"I conceived the thought of OUAI in 2014 — contemplating the rise of Instagram in 2012, I began to share my life and have interaction with my followers brazenly," Atkin reflected on her early days on social media. "I simply started sharing my life and interesting with people who have been following me at the time. I felt like no haircare brands related to shoppers by means of social media, so I used to be impressed to buck the development."
Associated: Everything to know about hair extensions
However getting to front-of-hair-mind was no straightforward feat. As chronicled in her ebook, Blow My Strategy to the Prime, Atkin's career began at 19 when she arrived in LA with just US $300 in her pocket. She acquired a job as a receptionist at a hair salon, and finally found her profession calling in hair. Atkin then turned a salon assistant for celeb stylist Andy Lecompte, working with him for over three years during an apprenticeship —& which led to multiple networking alternatives. She even toured with Madonna. Then in 2011, Atkins met the Kardashians —& then rising actuality stars on a Hollywood hustle —& the place she styled their hair for seasons 9 and ten of Protecting Up With the Kardashians. With word of mouth and a robust socials following, Atkins slowly turned a household identify in hair —& styling editorial shoots, purple carpets and runway exhibits. She's even collaborated with different business titans like Guido Palau.
This odyssey of schooling and evolution laid the groundwork for Atkin's eventual leap into entrepreneurship, pushed by an unwavering commitment to understanding hair and satisfying her clientele. Drawing inspiration from trailblazing manufacturers like Glossier and fuelled by a vision of effortless beauty, Atkin's creations resonate deeply with a brand new era, embracing simplicity and group.&
Under, learn up on BAZAAR Australia's chat with Atkin, where she delves into the world of OUAI —& opening up concerning the energy of social media for magnificence manufacturers, sharing celeb anecdotes, and revealing upcoming exciting news.
Related: Why the 'old money' bob is 2024's most coveted haircut

Harper's BAZAAR: Jen, because the founding father of OUAI, can you inform us the place the thought or impetus to launch the brand came from and when?
Jen Atkin: So I began the thought in 2014, interested by what I needed the brand to seem like, odor like, with really good elements that have been efficient. I needed to create it with our clients, and it was a no brainer to me. One in every of my greatest pals of 20 years, Tony Yumil, has an organization referred to as Case Company. He helped with the branding and just understood the aesthetic of the "effortlessly cool woman". I grew up in a time once I thought magnificence was actually difficult, like the 80s and early 90s, and then it shifted to the effortless look. I knew the timing was proper, and I never felt nervous or scared about what we have been doing as a result of I just believed that it needed to exist.
We know that a whole lot of celebrities just like the Kardashian-Jenners and Hailey Bieber are followers of OUAI. Are you able to share any insights into how your products attraction to a star clientele?
I imply everyone deals with hair insecurities and issues. For me, it's all about creating solutions that work for everybody. I've by no means approached my work with an enormous ego; it's all the time been about collaboration. It's incredibly rewarding to see the transformation in my shoppers, whether or not they're celebrities or common salon visitors. Beginning in the salon gave me a deep appreciation for reworking not simply hair, however individuals's confidence and outlook.
We've seen the unimaginable success of OUAI's previous merchandise. How does the brand new Hair Gloss complement the prevailing range and what benefits can customers anticipate?
I feel what's really exciting about OUAI is that we have been never boxed into simply hair — the model is all the time growing into totally different branches. The hair gloss actually came from us eager to have some kind of an answer for dry, brittle hair and, in a method, that you would be able to get that salon gloss look in the bathe at residence. It's very easy to make use of. All you need is a pea-sized quantity after you wash your hair, comb by way of and depart it in for 5 minutes and rinse clean. You can even use our antifreeze cream — that launches quickly — in case you want a bit of bit more hydration. You'll see on the spot outcomes, it additionally lasts three washes.
As a successful entrepreneur within the magnificence business, what's the one piece of advice you'd supply to aspiring enterprise ladies trying to set up their very own brands or ventures?
It's unusual to listen to you say that about me as a result of I nonetheless feel like I'm learning and just starting out. One necessary lesson I've discovered is understanding when things aren't working. It's robust, as I'm close to many founders, and I've seen that issues don't all the time go as planned.
In my own journey, I realised when it was time to move on from the salon and evolve. It was a troublesome choice as a result of I didn't need to let down my shoppers. Transitioning to working with celebrities introduced its own challenges; I couldn't accommodate everybody, which typically led to misunderstandings. Fortunately, my assistants have been skilled and succesful, allowing me to concentrate on expanding my enterprise. Recognising when it's time to embrace the subsequent chapter is essential. We frequently feel like we're meant to remain in a single place for too long, however that's not all the time the case.
One other piece of recommendation I'd supply is to immerse your self in your business. Even should you assume you're too previous to intern or assist, don't hesitate. I started aiding in my late twenties and it was incredibly useful. As I learn in the ebook Mastery, it takes round 10,000 hours to really master a craft. Reflecting on my time in hair faculty, on the salon, and as an assistant, I'm grateful for every moment. I've additionally been deeply interested in enterprise, always asking questions and studying.
I've come to understand that no matter what you're doing, find objective. Don't let the web rush you; what you see on-line is usually just a highlight reel. Keep in mind, you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed; many others are experiencing the identical struggles.

Social media has played a big position in shaping the sweetness landscape. How have you ever leveraged platforms like Instagram and your network of contacts to amplify OUAI's model presence, and what ideas would you give to others trying to do the same?
Once I launched the brand in 2016 it was all about Instagram, and it was actually our one line of communication with our clients and with each other. But now, the panorama has advanced and there are just so many various ways which you could join with shoppers — it's actually thrilling.&
I was like everyone else, I was really good at Instagram after which TikTok got here out and I was so anti it. Yet, I ultimately embraced it to offer advice, discovering it a rewarding use of my time. Balancing content material creation across a number of platforms may be difficult, especially with my current enterprise into Essential. Nevertheless, I've realised the importance of each brand having its personal presence on TikTok, fostering meaningful dialogues inside our group. This alleviates the strain to evolve to every development or dance craze — you don't need to do all of it!
Whereas sparking conversations about your product on social media remains very important, I discover that partaking with clients via numerous events is extremely effective.
With the sweetness business always evolving. How does Ouai adapt and keep forward of tendencies?
I discover myself discussing tendencies typically, however I consider it's time to retire that word. We're in an period where everyone can freely categorical their current emotions and elegance, which is consistently evolving. It's essential to recognise when to bid farewell to a specific look and embrace the subsequent part of private type. I imply, who hasn't cringed at past trend decisions when flipping via previous pictures?
What's notably thrilling about OUAI is our dedication to catering to every hair sort and texture, collaborating intently with our group to deliver what they want. At present, the obsession is all about St. Barts. The scent has really revolutionised our brand, with overwhelming buyer demand. We're thrilled to announce the upcoming launch of a hair and body mist featuring this beloved perfume. It's a fan favourite, and the anticipation is palpable. Who is aware of, perhaps a St. Barts-inspired drink is next on the horizon!
Are you able to share your primary tip for attaining a salon-esque coiffure at residence?
Okay, it's very straightforward. It all begins in the shower with proper hydration. Start with our scalp serum should you're experiencing any scalp points — it's really superb. Whereas in the bathe, I highly advocate our remedy masks. They arrive in options for nice to medium hair and thick hair, offering intense hydration. Comply with up with our hair gloss and anti-frizz cream, which not only moisturisers the hair, nevertheless it also protects it from warmth injury. Speaking of warmth, I've just lately launched ceramic heat hair instruments, which are good for locking in your type with out excessive heat. My largest tip? Experiment with lower heat settings on your scorching instruments. Not everybody needs the very best temperature — it's about discovering what works greatest on your hair. And don't overlook about heat protection — our products have you coated. Also, conditioners are a fan favourite for making certain your hair stays hydrated, identical to you'd together with your skin.
What's your go to hair styling routine for each day? And how does it differ whenever you're getting ready for an important day or an evening out?
Ah, transitioning from pandemic comfort to real-life glamour has been fairly the journey. I've found that getting dressed, applying make-up, and styling my hair can really rework how I feel and current myself. So, for my everyday routine, if I'm air-drying, I turn to our detox shampoo — it's infused with apple cider vinegar to cleanse and revive my hair. Then, I go for our remedy masks or a hair gloss, followed by a touch of anti-frizz or air-dry foam. I simply rake my fingers by way of my hair, perhaps use a tangling brush, scrunch it up, and let it dry naturally. But for special occasions or once I need a quick pick-me-up, like after a flight, I depend on our upcoming scorching brush, which works wonders for giving my hair quantity and shape. I'll pair it with our tremendous dry shampoo to refresh my hair immediately. So, whereas my routine is usually effortless, hydration remains my prime precedence.
Disclaimer: This interview has been edited for length and readability.
</div> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> The submit Jen Atkin on climbing her way to the top appeared first on Harper's Bazaar Australia.
More >> https://ift.tt/fhWiYSj Source: MAG NEWS